KOD Album Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

KOD Album Review

Kelley Crowfield, Staff Writer

Rapper J.Cole ended a 2-year wait for an album releasing KOD. This is an album that has multiple meanings such as “Kids On Drugs”, “King Overdosed”, or “Kill Our Demons”. J.Cole stated that the choice is yours and that you should choose wisely throughout the whole album, meaning that there will be songs that will persuade you into each direction.

The message throughout the whole album really makes you think about what you want to call the album. “Kids On Drugs” meaning youth are throwing their life away and choosing a life of drug use. “Kings Overdose” meaning someone with power can’t handle it and tend to become destructive leading to “The Fall Off”. “Kill Our Demons” which means get rid of the things that may hold you back later on in life and he mainly talks about it in songs such as BRACKETS and Window Pain.

The songs on the album aren’t really something to groove to but instead songs to make you think. Songs like ATM, Motiv8, and Kevin’s Heart include a meaning. “ATM” meaning “Addicted To Money” is Cole contemplating about his current state of fame and what that means for his family and his community. “Motiv8” is a song where he raps about his motivation to get money. In Kevin’s Heart Cole is singing as a person who’s in love with drugs. This song is really deep and makes you think how drug use can become a problem.

The album is an instant classic. J.Cole became the first ever artist to have 3 songs in the Top 10 Billboard Chart and having the largest streaming day record of 2018. I would be more then shocked if this album didn’t receive any awards because this can arguably be J.Cole’s best albums.

About the Writer
Kelley Crowfield, Staff Writer

His Name is Kelley, he goes by multiple names Kells, Kid, and Kelley wit da Belly, He’s is the 10th grade. He’s interested in Football, Basketball,...

• KOD Album Review

Features

7 Movies for this Summer

• KOD Album Review

Features

Health Academy’s Week of Happy

• KOD Album Review

Features

Top Ten Holiday Desserts

• KOD Album Review

Features

The worst feeling of all: Embarrassment

• KOD Album Review

Features

Appreciating Life’s Bundle of Joy

• KOD Album Review

Features

See Me, Not My Size

• KOD Album Review

Features

Let’s Talk Taboo

• KOD Album Review

Features

Christmas Stress

• KOD Album Review

Features

Depth of Bullying

• KOD Album Review

Features

Dancing ’till they Drop

KOD Album Review