Ballet Florkorico

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ballet Florkorico

Sophomore Geraldine Sanchez is dancing for 5 de Mayo to show the Mexican Culture.

Valerie Lugo, Staff Writer

At Vista Del Lago High school, the Ballet Folklorico performed for Cinco de Mayo to celebrate the Battle of Puebla victory during lunch on May 4, 2018.

By celebrating Cinco de Mayo, the Latin culture dance, Ballet Folklorico, shows their dance from different places in Mexico and shows their cultural dance from their ancestors place.

“We dance to different songs. For every region, there are different songs. During lunch  we danced to Jalisco’ La Negra and 7 Mares,” said Sophomore Kimberly Rico.

When seeing the different dances there is a  feeling of being there in the area of Mexico.

Freshman Josue Soto said, “My grandfather is from Baja California which means when I’m dancing Calabaceado Baja California, I feel like I’m dancing for him and showing everyone to learn about Baja California’s dance.”

Dancing ballet Folklorico on Cinco de Mayo can show the Mexican culture and the victory that happened on this day to everyone around the world, like the United States.

“When I’m dancing I feel very proud, I like showing people who my parents are and what I am like the culture we represent and who we are,” said Sophomore Roberto Rivera.

5 de Mayo is a day for the Latin culture to celebrate the Battle of Puebla and their victory. There are many ways to celebrate this day and do but at Vista del Lago the way we celebrate it is ballet folklorico dancing to show the culture to other students.