The Importance of Voting

A student filling out a voters registration form.

Aveline Alarcon, Staff Writer

Voting is a Democratic process every American goes through either every 2 or 4 years. We vote for senators, house members, and local government.

In 2016 we had one of the most nerve wrecking elections, an election where we, the citizens, chose the next President of the United States, despite the outcome being a bit shocking, the turnout numbers were shockingly low. According to PBS, in 2016, only 58% of registered voters turned out to vote. According to the statistics conducted by the U.S Elections Projects, most states failed to bring a 70% turn out.

Voting is a process everyone should appreciate, not many countries have the luxury to decide who their next leader will be or who will represents. Only 66% of Latinos went to the polls and casted a vote. Among African Americans, the voting turnout was 59.6% that was the lowest turnout for African Americans in nearly 20 years.

According to Registrar of Voters in the County of Riverside, the county recently reached a milestone in registered voters; one million. The overall turnout for voting were average, out of 1 million registered voters only 769,193 people voted, that’s 75% of registered voters. 25% of people showed up to the polls and 49% of people voted through mail.

As a teenager who turned 18 in June, I believe everyone should register to vote. From a personal view, I’ve seen many students who could care less about politics, and other students who only registered to vote for extra credit, which is good but students should register or pre-register to vote because they want to and not because there’s an extra credit opportunity.

Statistics found by CIRCLE, The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, found that only 50% of youths who are eligible to vote, actually went out and voted, most of the youths being white. There’s are 49 millions young adults who are eligible to vote and out of those 49 million only half voted. Young people make up 21% of eligible voters, we can make a huge impact on elections, so why are so few of us actually exercising this right?

Many people believe their votes don’t count due to the electoral college but that not true at all. In order for the electoral college to make an overall vote, it has to have people’s vote, so of course your votes matter.

2018 is the year of a midterm, and a statewide election is coming, is it highly encouraged that those who turned 18, register to vote. Even if you’re not 18, you can always pre-register so when you’re 18 you’re automatically able to vote in the election. It’s important to read about to upcoming candidates in the election, don’t just vote for the one candidate every other person is voting for, vote for who you feel is right. And if there are people in office who you don’t agree with, vote them out.

Registering to vote and going out to vote is extremely important, specially among us young people. Many politicians actually aim at getting our appeal because they know how important it is for us to vote.

• The Importance of Voting

Opinion

To Be Friends or Not To Be Friends

• The Importance of Voting

Opinion

Does Science refute Religion?

• The Importance of Voting

Opinion

National Security vs Privacy

• The Importance of Voting

Opinion

Does Buying Your Kids Materialistic Things Affect Their School Work

• The Importance of Voting

Opinion

The (not so) Remarkable inventions of Today

• The Importance of Voting

Opinion

What is Net Neutrality

• The Importance of Voting

Opinion

Why Chores are Important

• The Importance of Voting

Opinion

Not Enough History

• The Importance of Voting

Opinion

Love at First Sight

• The Importance of Voting

Opinion

The Real Peril of STDs

The Importance of Voting