What is Net Neutrality

Pexels

Pexels

Alex Perez, Sports Editor

Thursday, December 14 2017; the F.C.C voted on letting Net Neutrality rules be disregarded allowing companies to regulate what they want to do with their information. Not being seen as a utility anymore by the government the government regulations are now voided.Which could now benefit the consumers and not vice versa.

Countries such as China and North Korea have rules set just how net neutrality did which practically gave their government full control over the internet.

“In authoritarian regimes across the world, government control and regulation of the Internet is a given.Here in the U.S., we’ve managed to keep our online world relatively free from any bureaucratic oversight.That changed in 2015, based on a mandate from President Barack Obama, when the Federal communications Commission voted to classify Internet Service Providers as public utilities, the same as water suppliers or telephone companies.” said Yael Ossowski.

The people believe that taking away net neutrality is a bad decision but in all reality it actually helps both the consumers and the companies big or small.

“The rollback of the rules would eventually benefit consumers because broadband providers like AT&T and Comcast could offer them a wider variety of service options. His two fellow Republican commissioners also supported the change, giving them a 3-to-2 majority. We are helping consumers and promoting competition,” Mr. Pai said. “Broadband providers will have more incentive to build networks, especially to undeserved areas.” Said F.C.C chairman Ajit Pai.

Others may say that having net neutrality implemented actually benefits everyone more but it is still unsure to this day and it could go either way.

“ISPs could charge content providers, such as Netflix, extra money to ensure that its customers have a fast enough connection to stream content.Without these regulations in place, the internet could become a battle of which online companies can afford to shell out top dollars to major corporations such as Comcast, Time Warner and Verizon if they cant the customer, will experience slower connections while using them.If service providers have to pay more, consumer memberships cost may increase as a result.

Net Neutrality is a conflicting case with unknown outcomes there are people who are for re-implementing net neutrality but there are others who would like to keep it repealed to ensure the free market democracy.

• What is Net Neutrality

Opinion

To Be Friends or Not To Be Friends

• What is Net Neutrality

Opinion

Does Science refute Religion?

• What is Net Neutrality

Opinion

National Security vs Privacy

• What is Net Neutrality

Opinion

Does Buying Your Kids Materialistic Things Affect Their School Work

• What is Net Neutrality

Opinion

The (not so) Remarkable inventions of Today

• What is Net Neutrality

Opinion

The Importance of Voting

• What is Net Neutrality

Opinion

Why Chores are Important

• What is Net Neutrality

Opinion

Not Enough History

• What is Net Neutrality

Opinion

Love at First Sight

• What is Net Neutrality

Opinion

The Real Peril of STDs

What is Net Neutrality