Health Academy’s Week of Happy

Two Health Academy students participating in an event for the Week of Happy.

Aveline Alarcon, Staff Writer

Health Academy’s annual Week of Happy was held this week. It is sponsored by the Riverside Department of Mental Health. All the activities were thought of by periods 1-4.

According to Mrs. Dolan, The Week of Happy was a week of helping people realize that they have things to be happy with in their life’s, even if they don’t realize it because they’re going through something that’s making difficult.

On the first day of the Week of Happy, Health Academy also held it’s annual Blood Drive, students were given passes on last Friday, the pass indicated what time the individual had to arrive to check in. It was encouraged that students stuck to the theme of each day, on Monday the theme was ugly sweaters.

Monday’s activities were planned by period 1, Mrs. Dolan’s first period Sophomore class, during the activity students had a Flat Man. People were encouraged to write what makes them happy, take a selfie with it and then post it on social media.

“We were just throwing out ideas and I was like, and everyone else said okay!” Sophomore Joseph Dixon said.

On Tuesday, it was Grinch Day, the Academy hoped you’d wear green. During lunch, the students had The Carnival of Happy, some activities the students were hold were ring “the happy duck,” “corn hole,” “mine for candy,” and many more.

“We came up with the idea because there was this lady that wanted to make everyone aware about suicide, she then gave us some ideas and then we all started coming up with our own ideas and what games we wanted to put in the carnival.” Sophomore Sayany Camarena said.

Wednesday was one day that was not planned by any period. Mrs. Dolan wanted to take Wednesday to teach students about emergency CPR, any student can participate, it was also during lunch. Despite Wednesday not being created by any class period, it’s still Mix-Match Day.  

Thursday was dedicated to Breast Cancer Awareness, wearing pink was recommended. During lunch, students will hand out Free Friendship Grams and will ask people to vow to help others during difficult times. The students would have also liked to help create a chain down the A-wing hallway.

“We just threw out ideas and then we voted on which idea we wanted the most, we wanted to do a parade originally where we used the campus golf cart and we were going to give out free grams but the school turned us down.” Junior Janella Angeles said.

On Friday, the theme was Santa Hat day. The students set up tables near the quad area and handed students free water bottles and pamphlets about suicide awareness and the suicide hotline number. The students also had a small activity, the activity being creating and decorating Christmas ornaments. On the back of the ornaments, they wrote a positive and hung it on the Christmas tree.

• Health Academy’s Week of Happy

Features

Top Ten Holiday Desserts

• Health Academy’s Week of Happy

Features

The worst feeling of all: Embarrassment

• Health Academy’s Week of Happy

Features

Appreciating Life’s Bundle of Joy

• Health Academy’s Week of Happy

Features

See Me, Not My Size

• Health Academy’s Week of Happy

Features

Let’s Talk Taboo

• Health Academy’s Week of Happy

Features

Christmas Stress

• Health Academy’s Week of Happy

Features

Depth of Bullying

• Health Academy’s Week of Happy

Features

Dancing ’till they Drop

• Health Academy’s Week of Happy

Features

Hero of my Heart

• Health Academy’s Week of Happy

Features

How Parent’s Divorce Affects Children

Health Academy’s Week of Happy