The Real Peril of STDs

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Real Peril of STDs

A condom is one of the many ways to prevent from STDs and unplanned pregnancies.

Serena Land, Editor in Chief

There are many myths to the world of sex and STDs (sexually transmitted diseases), it can be hard to uncover the answer because it may be uncomfortable and nerve racking to talk about. Some students have expressed that they feel that there aren’t enough places to get good and accurate advice. Although in all high schools there is a health class that provides students with information, the class is one semester and may not answer all the questions or students may be to scared to ask the teacher in a public classroom setting.

STDs and sex are hard topics to discuss for certain people because of the privacy and how personal these topics are. There are many STDs which are broken down into 4 groups: bacterial, Ectoparasitic, Protozoal and viral.

Bacterial infections, which are gonorrhea, syphilis and chlamydia are most of the time curable with antibiotics. Some of the common side effects are diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain, but sometimes the symptoms aren’t there. If a bacterial STD isn’t taken care of it can cause infertility in women.

The second group is Ectoparasitic, Which involves a parasite. An example of Ectoparasitic is pubic louse better known as crabs. Pubic louse are small insects that feed on the blood of their host, they hide in pubic hair and can be transferred not only by sexual contact but also sharing a bed, clothing or even from a toilet seat. Some symptoms are itching in genital area, some people are able to see the lice and dark or bluish spots where lice are living. People can get rid of pubic lice by buying different kinds of shampoos gel soaps or foam soaps that are specifically for pubic lice, you can buy them over the counter most of the time without getting a doctor’s prescription. It’s pretty hard to prevent pubic lice from spreading because it only takes the rubbing of pubic hair to spread them to spread them so the best advice is to withhold from having sexual contact.

The third group is Protozoal, one of the notorious examples is , Trichomoniasis or Trich. Trich is the most common curable STD. About 70% of people infected don’t know that they are infected so it makes it easier to transfer the the disease. Some of the symptoms of men and women are foul-smelling vaginal discharge, genital itching, and painful urination in women. Men typically have no symptoms. There is no way to diagnose Trich on one’s own they have to go to a doctor and get a test done. The only way to cure this disease is by taking antibiotics prescribed by the doctor. The one way to prevent getting this is by using condoms since it is transferred by sexual intercourse.

The fourth and final group are viral STDs Human Immunodeficiency Virus or better known as HIV. Most people think HIV and AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) are the same thing but they aren’t. HIV is the virus that leads to AIDS. People can prevent getting HIV through the protection of condoms but the best way to prevent it is by remaining abstinence. HIV itself isn’t the curable and can not kill but if let continue into AIDS which lowers the person’s immunity can lead to someone’s death. AIDS is like an umbrella that holds diseases under that kill people.

Sex education should be in place for us to learn more about these STDs. “The lack of depth and discussion about sex. Sure we offer Health where sex ed is available but we should have a full course dedicated to just sex ed,” said Senior Jacqueline Perez. Sex Ed is very important to a teens health considering the experimenting that goes around. Most students feel that Sex Ed is important because sex education is always changing, “Sex Ed should be something that changes in time I wanted it to be okay for me to ask questions aloud without anyone looking at me weird” Senior Ahyleen Osorio said “Sometimes in Health, Sex Ed is rushed through or even skipped. Sex Ed should be something everyone should know about in this age, People might not like to take this serious but you wouldn’t like to get HIV from some girl you got pregnant.”

• The Real Peril of STDs

Opinion

To Be Friends or Not To Be Friends

• The Real Peril of STDs

Opinion

Does Science refute Religion?

• The Real Peril of STDs

Opinion

National Security vs Privacy

• The Real Peril of STDs

Opinion

Does Buying Your Kids Materialistic Things Affect Their School Work

• The Real Peril of STDs

Opinion

The (not so) Remarkable inventions of Today

• The Real Peril of STDs

Opinion

What is Net Neutrality

• The Real Peril of STDs

Opinion

The Importance of Voting

• The Real Peril of STDs

Opinion

Why Chores are Important

• The Real Peril of STDs

Opinion

Not Enough History

• The Real Peril of STDs

Opinion

Love at First Sight

The Real Peril of STDs