Dancing ’till they Drop

Vista Del Lago's Dance Team performing at a pep rally. Featured: Brooke Shields and others

Gabbi Mcclure, Opinion Editor

Vista Del Lago is known for the dance program, which allows student population to explore the art form.

Joe Topete, a senior at Vista Del Lago and former member of Dance Team said “I signed up for a dance class freshman year as a joke and I ended up really liking it.”

Many people have, like Topete, signed up for a dance class as a joke or as credits for college and ended up being interested in how humans use their bodies to express their creativity. Sometimes people may even find out that they are really good at it. That’s why Vista Del Lago offers a beginning dance class to offer students a way to learn the foundations of dance, such as ballet, jazz, and hip hop.

“My favorite style of dance is hip hop. I got inspired by my year of dance at school and decided to take lessons and hip hop workshops at different places.” said Ariela Barajas, a junior who has taken dance class for two years.

Studying different kinds of dance can show students what they are best at or like the most. For some people it’s hip hop; others like ballet or modern. Many students have been dancing on their own since they were young but never really had a serious interest.

“I’ve been dancing since fifth grade and have taken many hip hop classes like at the Millennium Dance Complex in Los Angeles.” said Jaaziel Barajas.

For students like Jaaziel, having a free class at school is a fun way to continue to pursue your hobby for free. Being able to study dance is not only great to take as an elective but a great way to explore styles of dance. You never know where it may take you. As Nikki Santos, a senior and former member of Dance Team said “I never expected to be where I am today when I signed up for Dance 1 my freshman year.”

• Dancing ’till they Drop

Features

KOD Album Review

• Dancing ’till they Drop

Features

7 Movies for this Summer

• Dancing ’till they Drop

Features

Health Academy’s Week of Happy

• Dancing ’till they Drop

Features

Top Ten Holiday Desserts

• Dancing ’till they Drop

Features

The worst feeling of all: Embarrassment

• Dancing ’till they Drop

Features

Appreciating Life’s Bundle of Joy

• Dancing ’till they Drop

Features

See Me, Not My Size

• Dancing ’till they Drop

Features

Let’s Talk Taboo

• Dancing ’till they Drop

Features

Christmas Stress

• Dancing ’till they Drop

Features

Depth of Bullying

Dancing ’till they Drop