Keeping Up with Vista del Lago’s Counseling

Counselors go the extra mile for students throughout the whole school year and make sure that students have the applications complete.

www.pexels.com

www.pexels.com

Nayely Ruiz, Staff Writer

Moreno Valley Unified School District’s mission is to get all of their students registered for college. It is an important objective for M.V.U.S.D. as a whole because it allows their students to have open doors, or opportunities, available to them for their future. As a school, and with college season underway, it is essential for the Vista del Lago’s counseling department to push their students into applying for college.

Counselors have made sure to take action on campus because deadlines are November 30th, 2017. It is crucial to meet this deadline in order to have all applications for colleges in and ready for the students to wait on their acceptances, denies, or wait lists. The overall big push is for students to apply for Cal states, universities, or private schools.

In order to begin applying to colleges, students need to know where they stand. Counselors and staff are making sure to reach this goal by having one-on-one meetings with every one of their seniors.

“The way we are trying to make that happen is by meeting with every one of our seniors and checking if they have applied, if they have or have not, what they can do to improve, how the process is coming along, and to find out if they need any help.” said Vista del Lago counselor Edgar Trujillo.

Not only are they meeting with their students, but they, along with teachers and staff, have had UC and CSU application workshops. These were events to help the students in their college application process.

“We have been working together with staff to encourage financial aid and applications into UC’s and CSU’s in different workshops on campus. This lets the students have a chance in school to apply for resources that will help them in their education after high school.” said Lisa Rhodius.

The counselors at Vista del Lago are motivating their students to take advantage of what resources they have in front of them. Within the Moreno Valley Unified School District, every student applying for college is receiving two fee waivers for college applications.

“Looking beyond Vista del Lago, we see that the inland empire’s rate in acceptances into warehouse jobs as students enter the workforce after high school are low,” said Vista del Lago counselor David Estes. “This is because of their level of education. With us as counselors pushing our students on campus into applying for college, it will hopefully bring them more opportunities that they never considered before.”

Vista del Lago’s counselors are hardworking and very efficient in their work. They are continuing to motivate and update their students on campus with information about college opportunities they should take advantage of.

• Keeping Up with Vista del Lago’s Counseling

News

Preview on Talent Show

News

The Beginning and End of a Dance Journey

News

Ballet Florkorico

News

Second Annual College Signing

News

Stories from an Undeclared War Impact and Inspire

News

A preview of Corbeau Theatre’s “Smile”

Features

Health Academy’s Week of Happy

News

Singing into a Merry Christmas

• News

Their Last Dance

News

Young Scholars Honored