Learning with the Scholars

Bingo for Success- Michelle Hernandez playing Bingo Spelling Literacy activity at Math and Literacy Night on Tuesday night.

Bingo for Success- Michelle Hernandez playing Bingo Spelling Literacy activity at Math and Literacy Night on Tuesday night. "The Math and Literacy Night was lots of fun," said Michelle Hernandez. "I had fun with the games." Photo by Aveline Alarcon

Nayely Ruiz, Staff Writer

Vista del Lago held its first Math and Literacy Night on Tuesday, November 7th from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. in the VDLHS library to make students and parents aware of the resources they can use to demonstrate what they know in both mathematics and English. In relation to math and literacy, the skills and resources presented to students and parents give both students and their parents an opened door to a road of success in improvement in a student’s academics.

Throughout the evening, teachers and staff interacted with the students and their parents, presenting to them different fun activities that they can do at home in order to improve in math and literacy levels. They also provided the audience with a slideshow with on campus studying resources like tutoring and online websites. Overall it was a successful event, with 123 people present gaining knowledge for their future.

This event touched several useful points that will benefit students. The teachers presented activities in both ELA and mathematics. One of the activities was called “Literacy Bingo,” where students and parents engaged and built in their literacy by placing placeholders on the vocabulary word called out. The purpose of this game was to be able to have a one-on-one study session with a parent in order to spell out, give a definition, or use the word in a sentence. Another activity of the night was a math game where the student had to identify what object did not belong in a group. The purpose of this activity was for the students to come up with and be able to explain their answer with a logical and mathematical response.

“When I found out that we were doing a Math and Literacy Night, my first step was to go to the math and English chairs and ask them what their thoughts were and what they would like to see happen and just get their ideas on what would be beneficial to our students and parents,” said Administrator and Vice Principal Dana Dunams. “We wanted big take aways of support, to give out contact information for the parents, and students to be able to contact staff when needed.” said Dunams.

Staff members had the opportunity to inform parents and students on MAP and CAASPP testing, where both tests measure an estimation of a student’s instructional level and also measures student progress or growth in school. They gave different resources for them to engage in resources to build a stronger foundation of math and literacy in order to achieve high scores in both of these tests.

“I was really impressed with the level of participation from everyone, the students, the parents, the younger siblings,” said Math Teacher Gijs Muizelaar. “Even though we had the whole library full I hope we can take it to the gym and the more students and parents the better.” said Muizelaar.

The students were left with a numerous amount of opportunities to take and were able to feel encouraged to participate in the event. Not only did parents gain a better understanding of the importance of math and literacy and its applications to becoming a higher level of these academic subjects, but so did the students. It was an uplifting and highly informative night.

“Most of the information was geared and directed towards parents. My mom was really attentive and received a lot of new tools she can use not only with myself, but with my younger siblings as well,” said Senior Vanessa Salcedo. “My favorite part of the event was listening to Mrs.Dunams present because she has a very contagious joy that made everyone feel welcomed.” said Salcedo.

Overall the event was a success for Vista del Lago’s staff, parents, and students. They were able to grasp a lot of beneficial information. It was an event where not only the students were participating, but their younger siblings and parents were engaging in the resources and activities presented. The information was geared and directed towards parents and students, and at the end of the night the objectives of the Math and Literacy Night were met. Because it was such a great, successful event on campus, administrators hope to host a following up Math and Literacy Night in the Spring.

• Learning with the Scholars

News

Preview on Talent Show

• Learning with the Scholars

News

The Beginning and End of a Dance Journey

• Learning with the Scholars

News

Ballet Florkorico

• Learning with the Scholars

News

Second Annual College Signing

• Learning with the Scholars

News

Stories from an Undeclared War Impact and Inspire

• Learning with the Scholars

News

A preview of Corbeau Theatre’s “Smile”

• Learning with the Scholars

Features

Health Academy’s Week of Happy

• Learning with the Scholars

News

Singing into a Merry Christmas

• News

Their Last Dance

• Learning with the Scholars

News

Young Scholars Honored

Learning with the Scholars