Changing the Game

Coach Cory High Fiving His Player

Coach Cory High Fiving His Player

Gabbi Mcclure

Gabbi Mcclure

Coach Cory High Fiving His Player

Gabbi McClure, Opinions Editor

When you walk into the gym during any basketball practice, all you can hear is the sound of shoes squeaking, balls bouncing, and the coach yelling. You can see as the players run up and down the court how hard they are working. The coach stands off to the side, making sure none of his players are slacking.

In fact, many pro basketball players would not be where they are today if not for the support and training of their coaches. A player can be talented but without training, they won’t get that far. However with the right training and standards, players can excel. At Vista del Lago we are lucky to have an excellent head coach, Coach Cory Cornelius.

“I think he [Coach Cory] is different from all my other coaches. He gives me freedom and more confidence in my game. He connects with us both off and on the court.” says power forward Samuel Scott.

Coach Cory has mandatory practice every weekday. If not in the morning, the players practice after school. He has them run suicides, do pushups, and scrimmage against each other. If one of his players needs help he makes sure to do one on one coaching.  He makes sure all of his players are ready to work when they step into the gymnasium.

“He’s a very good role model for us. Off the court he makes sure we have good grades and that we are all good people. He’s really fun but also knows when to be serious and he’s always helping us.” says senior captain and point guard Raymond Moorehead.

Coach Cory sets standards for his players, such as respect, punctuality, and dedication. He takes the extra time to make sure his players are not only getting the minimum GPA, but are doing the best they can in all their classes. He holds his players up to a standard by prohibiting sagging, talking back, or any sort of disrespectful behavior. He cares about not just who the players are when they are on the court, but who they are in life too.

Coach Cory himself simply says,” It’s the right thing to do. As a Christian man, I believe we all will be judged based on how we live our life down here.”

In addition to playing against other schools in our district, he also has his varsity team playing travel ball. He takes them places such as Las Vegas and New York, playing against other excellent teams. He does more for his players then just hold practice. He motivates them and pushes them to do their best.

Having a good coach can mean a world of difference to kids that play sports. Coach Cory has changed the game at Vista del Lago by going the extra step for the kids he coaches. He takes a personal interest in all of them and makes sure they are doing well, on the court and in school. He gives them more opportunities and rewards for doing good. He appoints captains to ensure his players are all being the young men he wants them to be. Coach Cory himself sets a standard for coaches and how much they can do for their players.

• Changing the Game

Boy's Basketball

Volleyball Boys Spike at Tryouts

• Changing the Game

Student Submissions

The Creative Writing Center

• Changing the Game

News

Preview on Talent Show

• Changing the Game

Lifestyle

Top 5 Possible things that could happen in Avengers 4

• Changing the Game

News

The Beginning and End of a Dance Journey

• Changing the Game

News

Ballet Florkorico

• Changing the Game

Features

KOD Album Review

• Changing the Game

News

Second Annual College Signing

• Changing the Game

Opinion

To Be Friends or Not To Be Friends

• Changing the Game

Lifestyle

Top 10 list for Places to Visit During the Summer

Changing the Game