Tennis Players Finish Their Set

Michelle+Munoz+%2810%29+and+Victoria+Gomez+%2810%29%2C+Jazmin+Castellanos+%2811%29+%26+Jasmine+Elizalde+%2811%29+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Tennis Players Finish Their Set

Michelle Munoz (10) and Victoria Gomez (10), Jazmin Castellanos (11) & Jasmine Elizalde (11)

Aveline Alcorn

Aveline Alcorn

Aveline Alcorn

Nayely Ruiz, Staff Writer

On October 23, 2017 the Vista del Lago’s Girls Tennis team began their first day of the Mountain Valley League Girls Tennis Individual Tournament. This tournament is to determine the best individual players and double teams in the league. It is also to represent the Mountain Valley League at the CIF Regional Tournament for next month. The tournament is over two days of October, Monday the 23rd and Wednesday the 25th, where several of the girls compete for these spots.

Several of the girls were competing in the tournament this year. On the first day of the tournament the girls who participated were: Karen Abarca (12), Cassey Bagnol (11), Marineille Cabacang (11), Sayany Camarena (10), Karime Camarena (11), Jazmin Castellanos (11), Yanelli Cortez (11), Jasmine Elizalde (11), Victoria Gómez (11), Katera Lee (12), Lily Lizcano (11), Michelle Muñoz (10), Mariah Ojeda (11) and Leslie Ruiz (11).

After the first day of the Mountain Valley League Girls Tennis Individual Tournament, Mariah Ojeda (11), Katie Camarena (11), Marineille Cabacang (10) and Lily Lizcano (11) all successfully won their first matches, taking them to the second round. Although they did not advance to the semi-finals, they played with a tremendous amount of effort and give it their all on the court. Fortunately, Mariah Ojeda (11)  was awarded 1st Team All-League honors and both Karime Camarena (11) and Marineille Cabacang (10) were awarded 2nd Team All-League honors.

Although the whole team did not make it to the semi-finals, the semi-finalists’ team members were very supportive of their teammates.

“As a whole I’m really proud on how we put in our full effort especially at the time it was around 93 degrees, we gave it our all until we got to where we are today.” said Senior Katera Lee. “Seeing my teammates play right now makes me feel like a proud mother because they have worked so hard for this, they want it so bad, and it displays it when they are on the court.”

The lady ravens were pushing forward out on the tennis courts in high temperatures aside their partners. Nothing was getting in their way of becoming the champion on the court because of the level of motivation they had in themselves.

“We use communication to cheer each other on to keep ourselves motivated on the court. When I’m on the court everything around me disappears because I have to stay concentrated in the game.” said Varsity player Michelle Munoz (10). “I feel pretty confident in how me and my partner are doing right now. We have the right mindset and are keeping each other motivated in the game because we want to win at the end.”

Michelle Munoz (10) and Victoria Gomez (10) were crowned the league doubles champions and Jazmin Castellanos (11) & Jasmine Elizalde (11) were the runners-up. Both teams had a tough road through the tournament, but managed to persevere. Because both teams reached the final, they will be the only two doubles teams representing our league in the upcoming CIF Sectionals tournament, held next month. This is a HUGE accomplishment and honor.

“We used communication, kept stamina, and held our mentality stable on the court. I’m pretty shocked and surprised because I’ve only been in tennis for two years and I have accomplished something so important to our school tennis team history” said Varsity player Victoria Gomez (11).

• Tennis Players Finish Their Set

News

Second Annual College Signing

• Tennis Players Finish Their Set

Features

7 Movies for this Summer

• Tennis Players Finish Their Set

Opinion

National Security vs Privacy

• Tennis Players Finish Their Set

News

Stories from an Undeclared War Impact and Inspire

• Tennis Players Finish Their Set

Opinion

The Importance of Voting

• Tennis Players Finish Their Set

Features

Appreciating Life’s Bundle of Joy

• Tennis Players Finish Their Set

Features

See Me, Not My Size

• Tennis Players Finish Their Set

Features

Depth of Bullying

• Tennis Players Finish Their Set

News

Young Scholars Honored

• Tennis Players Finish Their Set

Opinion

A True Christmas Gift

Tennis Players Finish Their Set