Running Into Condition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Running Into Condition

Savanna Bautista, Staff Writer

The building is captivated by the noises of stomping feet and clanging metals. A particular individual’s sneakers grind against the treadmill’s running belt. No matter how much cool water he consumes his body still emits heat. Dosed with perspiration, he stands off the machinery and wipes his brow. His quick eye catches the clock as he removes his red headphones. It has been an hour and a half since he last took a break. The teen’s lips tug into a smile, with a switch; the machinery is off and he rests himself against the bench. He digs into his gym bag, retrieving his protein shake with his initials “J. Pineda” printed across the custom-made bottle.

Vista del Lago High School’s Cross Country team, varying into four individual groups. Boys Varsity, Boys J.V., Girls Varsity, and Girls J.V. The high school’s team(s) secret to achieving their races lies with underneath their training. “Our sport is pure running.” shares Francisco Castellon, “If you don’t train you don’t run good and if you don’t run good, then what’s the point of being in cross country?” The journalism team is here to find out why.

The team’s practice starts at 3:30 pm in which they always meet beside the school’s football field. Where stretching, drills and a run will take place, in that order. Mondays are recognized as workout days, Tuesdays are the long runs, Wednesdays are hill days, Thursdays are another long run and Friday are shorter runs. This weekday conditioning all takes place after school and last till about 6 or later.

The average exercising individual warm-ups 5-10 minutes on a bike, rowing machine, jumping jacks, or a run on a flight of stairs. This is all in order to get the blood flowing and muscles warm.

“I usually run in the morning.” Cross country runner Jose Pineda shares, “You need to constantly train if you want to get any better.” Warm-ups gently prepare the body for exercises by gradually increasing the heart rate and circulation; this will loosen the joints and increase blood flow to the muscles. Stretching the muscles prepares them for physical activity and prevents injuries.

On Saturdays, the team members all go to Grande Vista Dr, Moreno Valley, CA 92555 is where they run in the mountains.Which the trail they sprint on is approximately 11 miles [or more] and takes up to 2-3 hours to finish. This strongly shows the Raven team’s professionalism and dedication to their sport.

A alumni to the sport, Lorenzo Luna, stresses the importance of stretching. “Some people can’t even bend properly to do a lunge, and that is very worrying.” He also advises their eating habits and conditioning a harrier goes through and how it may affect their races. “Main thing you have to avoid, is never eat Hot Cheetos.”

Good nutrition is an important part of leading a healthy lifestyle. Combined with physical activity, your diet can help you to reach and maintain a healthy weight, reduce your risk of chronic diseases (like heart disease and cancer), and promote your overall health.

Running is the purest form of sport. There are no balls, no bats, just a person and their legs. They run a 3-mile race on open-air courses over natural terrains such as dirt or grass. The sports group dedication to the sport is just as much of the amount of dedication for the training.