Social Media Kills

Cynthia Sosa

Cynthia Sosa

Tia Latson, Staff Writer

Laying in a bathtub feeling hopeless and alone, you have a razor in your hand the way of ending all the pain you feel. You make one cut all the way down one arm and then you do the same to the other. You lay in in water with all of your blood pouring out until you are nothing left but a lifeless body.

Suicide, this has always been a problem but is it possible that now social media has taken it to a new level. Suicide used to be a way that people ended all the pain they felt. The first suicide was recorded in 399 BC, no there was no technology then but we still had suicides.

After spending a majority of your time on social media, posting, sharing but now you are sharing the desire for death. There are people making pacts and cults just for people to kill themselves on a live streamed network. There are hotlines and so many other resources for help but is suicide easier?

After calling a suicide hotline a man named Don who said “ We get about 20 calls a day and most calls regarding suicide are usually from cyberbullying.”

Think about this 20 call everyday for one year can totals up to 7,300 calls every year. This may seem like a large quantity but there are still 44,193 suicides each year, which puts suicide as one of the main causes of death in the US. With social media allowing these acts of violence to be posted and shared who’s saving you from one of the activities teens adore most?

No suicide won’t stop, but with the amount of attention that people get after they die who wouldn’t want to kill themselves. If you were to kill yourself before without live streaming it then yes it was sad, but now with social media you can point fingers and let everyone know why you’re ending your life. Instead of having a note that only a few people might ever read all you have to do it turn on your phone or computer camera and action.

“Suicide risk can only be reduced, not eliminated,” stated AAP lead author, Benjamin Shain, MD, PhD

Now knowing that suicide will never end is an issue, social media still allowing violent acts to be shared among each other. They don’t monitor all the groups or what people are allowed to post so what will stop one of you from committing suicide. There is the factor of cyberbullying which has a higher rate than actual bullying. However, with cyberbullying people begin to wonder why not just log off the internet, but it’s never that easy.

“Many parents do not understand how vital the Internet is to their social lives,” Dr. Juvonen said. “Parents can take detrimental action with good intentions, such as trying to protect their children by not letting them use the Internet at all. That is not likely to help parent-teen relationships or the social lives of their children.”

There are also people who make pacts wanting and needing to die at the same time. They set up chats and groups for people to just be put down and want nothing more than for the pain to be over. In 2005, 7 people in Japan all killed themselves due to an online suicide pact. Its was said that year that, 55 people were known to kill themselves due to a suicide pact compared to only 34 in 2003.

With all these methods of suicide added on with self stress and then social media who wouldn’t want to end it all. You get on these websites and you have people feeding into the idea of something better, the idea that death is the easiest way to escape all of your problems. I even went through this where I was in group and associated with people who made me feel like if I killed my then I wouldn’t feel pain and I would have others die with me if I killed myself.

Anthony Carmona said,  “Social media websites are no longer performing an envisaged function of creating a positive communication link among friends, family and professionals. It is a veritable battleground, where insults fly from the human quiver, damaging lives, destroying self-esteem and a person’s sense of self-worth. “

You’ve become a slave to social media!

Social media used to be used to connect with it with each other and share things that we thought were funny. Why would you share a death so openly as to make a scene or a recording where everyone sees your life slipping away. The new show “13 Reasons Why” shows a scene of a girl letting all of her blood pour out of her body, and one lady watched as her husband hung their infant daughter on live stream.

At this point in life suicide on live stream has become a show. You let people record and post videos of anything with that much freedom who wouldn’t abuse it. There are video still on youtube of all of these graphic things being shown. Why would you put something like this online where anyone can access it, you put in peoples mind that suicide ends problems.

Sophmore Anthony Bentley said, “I’ve never been bullied on social media but I believe that with all the different sites on social media have helped lead to more suicide.”

You think about what would happen after you’ve killed yourself and what people would think about yuo. However, if you look at someone’s social media after they kill themselves you’ll see that now they are looked at like a voice or an angel. When Hannah in “13 Reasons Why” killed herself then everyone tried to then show how much they cared about her.

Sophomore Tamira Dennis said, “I have been driven to the point of suicide though social media and several other things, but I think the most helpful thing for me has been my friends constantly being there for me.”

Before Facebook used to memorialize your page after you died and no one would be able to even find your page. Now people can log into your account and have control over many of things besides your personal messages. We become better dead than we ever were alive, if killing yourself put you on top and all you have to do it turn on your phone or computer camera, who would could stop you from clicking and killing yourself. ALL ON SOCIAL MEDIA!

• Social Media Kills

News

Keeping Up with Vista del Lago’s Counseling

• Social Media Kills

News

Disneyland Shuts Down Cooling Towers Over Legionaries Disease

• Social Media Kills

News

Learning with the Scholars

• Social Media Kills

News

Wrap Up of The Curious Savage

• Social Media Kills

News

Sutherland Springs, Texas Shooting

• Social Media Kills

News

Preparing for the Curious Savage

• Social Media Kills

News

Dancing for Their Ancestors

• Social Media Kills

News

Dancing with Mickey

• Social Media Kills

News

Juniors Take The “W” At The Avid Olympics

• Social Media Kills

News

Health Academy takes the Field

Social Media Kills