Eco-friendly in 5 easy steps

Ana Amaya, Features Editor

Not many realize the effects humans have on this planet. We are inhabitants on earth and very seldom do we apprehend that we are destroying it. Earth is our home and we should start treating it like a home. With five easy steps, you too will have the capability to make a change.

1. Adopt a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle: Not being biased, but a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle will better the earth. According to the Vegan Calculator, a vegan will save 401,500 gallons of water, 10,950 square feet of forest, 365 animal lives, 7,300 pounds of Co2, and 14,600 pounds of grain. And as a vegetarian, the Vegetarian Calculator calculates that in a year a vegetarian saves 202 animal lives and 1,609 pounds of Co2. These two lifestyles make a drastic difference in the environment. A good drastic. Adopting one can make a change, begin now.
  2. Thrift for your clothe: Thrift shopping is hip and helps the environment. Similar to what Green Society said,  Thrift shopping can decrease landfill, pollution, and  malicious work ethics. There are plenty of thrift stores around and some donate their funds to local charities. Plus, you will save money yourself.
  3. Make your own compost pile: Although there are procedures to making a compost pile, it is very beneficial to the environment. A compost pile, according to Make Dirt no Waste, reduces greenhouse gases, conserves our resources, and the use of pesticides can be reduced. It’s simple to start a compost pile. All you need are leaves, kitchen waste, animal manure (do not use carnivore manure), some garden soil, and earthworms. You mix it all together and you create an eco-friendly environment.
  4. Take advantage of technology: E-reading has been on a rise for years now. Despite not being able to smell the dust on the books nor having the physical ability to turn the pages, online books are the best option for us now. Moving toward online books and online movies can limit landfill and waste. And according to Live Science, there are ten emerging environmental technologies that will better the environment. Whatever your take is on technology, make sure that in it will also better the environment while doing so.
  5. Use utensils that can be used more than once: Brush with Bamboo and Clean Planetware are two of the many companies that advocate the use of utensils. Plastic utensils and necessities are used for a very short amount of time and generally end up in our environment. Because animals are being affected physically, our ecosystem is suffering. To limit this from happening, people need to begin using utensils that are reusable. This means taking a mason jar to fast-food chains for drinks, using a biodegradable toothbrush, using tote bags when grocery shopping, or using glass plates instead of styrofoam plates.

As a inhabitant, it is our duty to care of the earth. Making little changes to our life can better the environment, therefore taking care of the earth. Begin by making a little change in your life to be a part of an eco-friendly environment. 

• Eco-friendly in 5 easy steps

Lifestyle

Top 5 uncommon must watch movies on Netflix

• Eco-friendly in 5 easy steps

Lifestyle

Top 10 binge worthy shows on Netflix

• Eco-friendly in 5 easy steps

Lifestyle

Top 10 Conspiracy theories

• Eco-friendly in 5 easy steps

Lifestyle

Top 5 scientific discoveries

• Eco-friendly in 5 easy steps

Lifestyle

Top 3 Deadliest Drugs

• Eco-friendly in 5 easy steps

Lifestyle

Top 10 Clothing Items in Fall

• Eco-friendly in 5 easy steps

Lifestyle

Top 10 Things to do in Fall

• Eco-friendly in 5 easy steps

Lifestyle

Top 10 Movie Costumes and Fears

• Eco-friendly in 5 easy steps

Lifestyle

How to make a breakfast omelet

• Eco-friendly in 5 easy steps

Features

How to make french toast cupcakes

Eco-friendly in 5 easy steps