How to transition into veganism with ease

Ana Amaya, Features Editor

As the only vegan within my family and  friends, the transition into veganism was perplexing. Veganism can make the world a better place and I want to take upon myself to recommend it. Transitioning should not be difficult. Continue reading to make your transition easier than mine.

1. Understand your lifestyle’s effects: Non-vegan people tend to ask vegans why they are vegan. The curiosity is acceptable and should be answered, but you should first understand why you went vegan or why you are deciding to go vegan yourself. There could be multiple of reasons: the animals, the environment, water usage, world hunger, or personal benefits. Whatever the reason for a lifestyle change may be, be aware that there are effects. Veganism has positive effects. There are multiple documentaries, such as Cowspiracy and Food Choices, that advocate veganisms effects and help people understand its importance.
  2.  Veganize your favorite foods: A difficulty about veganism that concerns many people is never eating their favorite foods. It is possible to eat your favorite food. There are mock meats, vegan cheeses, and non-dairy ice creams. Gardein has a variety of frozen vegan foods and mock meats, and Daiyaveganism holy grailmakes vegan macaroni n’ cheese and frozen vegan pizzas. Surprisingly, anything can be made vegan. I’ve eaten vegan chicken sliders, a vegan bacon burger, green tea ice cream, spaghetti and meatballs, and other delicious plates that many would have never thought could be made vegan.
  3.  Know where to find vegan food and vegan products: One of the reasons why I did not go vegan sooner was from my lack of knowledge. I still taste the dullness of water and oatmeal in the morning and the awkward dinner night-outs with my family. I had nothing to eat, or so I believed. After getting the HappyCow app, life was so much simpler as a vegan. There are many restaurants and health food stores that carry vegan options, you just need to know where you’re going. Peta also has a list of fast-food chains that have vegan dishes. It’s easy to be vegan, eat vegan. Just do your research before arriving at the restaurant.
  4. Connect with vegan friends: It is easy to feel alone when you’re doing something that your friends are not doing, because veganism is not a lifestyle many people are transitioning to, it’s normal to feel lonely. To diminish this loneliness, I suggest you look for a vegan friend, whether it’s online or at school. Meeting people that have the same mindset as yours is unique. There are vegan meetups, vegan Facebook groups, and vegan festivals  that can assist you with this. Having a vegan friend will consist of support, tasty vegan recipes, and someone to share idea with. It’s absolutely beautiful.
  5. Follow vegan YouTubers: Just like friends, vegan YouTubers will help you through your vegan journey. Most vegan YouTubers promote veganism with videos that include preparation of food, vegan tips, and frequently asked questions concerning the matter. Some YouTubers also have helpful websites that sometimes include recipes and guides. For example, Mr & Mrs Vegan have free vegan guides and acknowledge everything vegan.
  6.  Be aware of your health: Health is a worry transitioning vegans have. They ask themselves if they will be eating enough protein or if their hair will begin to fall off. A vegan could eat potato chips and soda all day if they’d like, but that would not be healthy. Veganism can be the healthiest diet if you make it the healthiest diet. Tofu, Beans, and grains will get you your protein daily quota. But if you are still worried about protein or vitamins, you can buy vegan supplements. Vega and Deva are two of the many companies that sell vegan supplements and are sold at local health food stores and pharmacies.
  7.  Be certain that veganism is what you want to do: There are times we do things because other people are doing it. Veganism is not a trend, it’s a lifestyle. It’s fine to try veganism for a short period of time and not continue with it. It’s your choice and there are helpful resources that can help you make your choice. Do your research and decide for yourself.

• How to transition into veganism with ease

Lifestyle

How to make a breakfast omelet

Features

How to make french toast cupcakes

Lifestyle

How to make a strawberry smoothie

Lifestyle

Eco-friendly in 5 easy steps

Lifestyle

Top 10 Movies you must watch this Summer

Lifestyle

How to make Dump n Meatball Casserole

Lifestyle

How to make churros

Lifestyle

Acne hacks for teenagers

Lifestyle

10 Things You Should Do Before You Die

Lifestyle

How to be Prepared for AP Exams