It’s a Feminism type world and we’re just living in it

Karla Jimenez and Salonda Johnson

Arleth Oliden and Dymenique Deans

Feminism and  Feminist aren’t just words that you heard in a Beyoncé song but it is a movement that has been around for decades and more to come.

The definition of the word is; the advocacy of women’s rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.

Despite that feminism being around for years, many ask if the movement truly does happen around the world and if there is different aspects of the movement. According to Areo Magazine , it does, especially within British/Muslim areas.  Around 9% of British women are feminist. 29% of women are feminist regarding it as ethically neutral, and 30% is mostly negative. In a 2009 survey, 0% of British Muslims said homosexuality was morally acceptable, and in 2016, 52% said it should be illegal, compared to 5% of the general population. The same survey found that 39% of British Muslims felt that wives should always obey their husbands, compared to 5% of the general population.

As for the different types of feminism, there is 3: Intersectional, Radical, and Liberal feminism.

Intersectional Feminism  is a term coined in 1989 by civil rights advocate and scholar, Kimberé Williams Crenshaw  to describe overlapping or intersecting social identities and related systems of oppression, domination, or discrimination. Yet the word has been getting more recognition due to the social media and recent events of the such Women’s March.

English teacher Koren Caban had a lot to say about Intersectional Feminism, “ I think feminism should be intersectional. What I mean by that is that many women get boxed into thinking  only about  how  certain gender disparities affect women, identity  themselves similarly. I care about women’s issues affects women who are outside of my race who have a different religion than I do, who have a different sexual orientation than I do, and women whose personal and political beliefs are different than mine.”

Radical Feminism is a perspective within feminism that calls for a radical reordering of society in which make supremacy is eliminated in all  social and economics contexts. This term also goes by, ’White Feminism.

Priscilla Feliz, an AVID tutor had this  to say, “I don’t like [ Radical Feminism] and I don’t agree with it because women are all equal regardless of color.’’

Lastly, the idea of  Liberal Feminism  is an individualistic form of feminist theory, which focuses on women’s ability to maintain their equality through their own actions and choices.

Bill Richie said  “I don’t know the difference between liberal radical feminism, although I suspect the latter is a more extreme version of the forever. I believe this became more popular during the 60’s when there was a backlash against traditional values and the status quo. I believe the extremes of  this is doing more harm than good…. men are partily to blame for this because we have not valued and respected women for who they are.”

Even though there has been some positive changes in the Feminism movement, there is so much more that has to be done. With the different types of the idea, we must understand that the concept  is not only beneficial for women but men in this society as well. It is time that we understand that we are not separate but equal human beings.