Vista sees major reduction in discipline

Steven Robles, Staff Writer

Heavy breathing, people screaming, and a crowd of people circling the entertainment being shown. Constant punches being thrown between both parties. Admins come to the scene yelling “stop” but are muted by the excitement of the students spectating the fight.

Admins arrive to break the fight apart by pulling the students away from each other. Some students follow and others go back to a normal day of school.Fights can happen anywhere and it can affect students, but time has proved with the assistance of the program PBIS being brought in, that incidents have reduced.

Over the years fights have decreased and it seems like one day it will be a rare sight to see. Since the 2012 to 2015 school year, the number of incidents have gone down by 100.

Students have always found ways to resolve problems but sometimes they lead to fighting and it doesn’t always end in the best way possible. It will lead to students getting suspended and even worse, ending up in places where they should not belong and worse.

Freshman Emiliano Meza said “It’s unnecessary to fight, there is always a better solution and students should be able to solve it in other ways”.

Before the implementation of PBIS, Students did not respect the punishments that they were given for fighting. They were given days of suspension which is just a mini vacation for many students or after school detention which is minimal for fighting.

When asking Freshman Fernando Reyes on a solution to the fights, he responded

“give them a respectable punishment, like asking them reasonable questions, but don’t be too soft to the point where they do it again.”  

Over time less and less fights have occurred and have ended in fewer tragic conclusions. Fewer fights happening, benefits the atmosphere and the feeling of security among the students.

“Since the past two years the number of fights have gone incredibly down and suspensions, and the office is incredibly pleased by that.” said assistant principal Mr.Kruger.

As for the few fights that do occur, it looks like fighting is becoming less of an importance to students that are focused on education. Fights are suppressed before they affect other student’s learning environment. With the program PBIS that Vista Del Lago introduced two years ago, the fights have began to diminish and will continue do so “We will continue this program and we are very pleased with it.” said Mr.Kruger. So what one day seemed a boxing match might be a peaceful day of school.

• Vista sees major reduction in discipline

News

Ravens Have “FUN IN THE SUN”

News

School district hires new social workers

News

Social Media Kills

News

Theater prepares for One ACT Extravaganza

News

Anime Club roams the district of Little Tokyo

News

Student services host annual Youth Summit

News

Theater performs “Little Shop of Horrors”

News

How the rain has affected the drought

News

ASB has financial issues with Grad Nite

News

Counseling provides new college skills class for seniors