The Teen World of Bullying

Angelita Bautista and Arleth Oliden

Everyone in the world has either been bullied at one point in their life, or has at least witnessed bullying, viewers can find bullying everywhere and anywhere at any time.

Bullying has been around for ages and sometimes occurs  without being noticed.As a matter of fact bullying is also considered a form of abuse.Most cases of bullying happens to teens or young adolescents.The reason(s) that most people believe is that teens are young and they don’t know the harm that is cause by it.

Bullying includes behaviors that focus on making someone else feel unnecessary and unwanted. For example, harassment, physical harm, repeatedly demanding speech and efforts to exclude another person. Bullying is active, and is done with the intention of bringing another person self-esteem down.Bullying can occur in four different way,so there is around 4 different ways to get bullied .

The first type of bullying is physical. Physical bullying is when another teen is physically dominated. Meaning that the bully touches their victim so that it inflicts physical pain.Physical contact includes  kicking, punching and other harmful offenses.  For example getting into an unnecessary fight with a student that doesn’t respond to the attack.

A freshman who is currently attending Vista Del Lago H.S,said,”I mostly see physical bullying at school and whenever I see it happen I would try to defend the victim.”If you see this type of bullying happen,or actually any bullying for the matter,you should try to have it be stopped.

Verbal bullying is when he or she uses demeaning language to tear down another’s self-image. Verbal bullying occurs most often. Almost 77 percent of students are being bullied verbally. Bullies who use verbal techniques excessively tease others and use a great deal of sarcasm with the intent to hurt the other person’s feelings or humiliate the other teen in front of others. Such as calling someone “Loser” or saying they can’t do something right and pointing out something embarrassing in front of everyone.

Verbal bullying is linked to depression and even suicidal tendencies.The two common bullying types in females is verbal and social. In males the two most common are verbal and physical.

Freshman Cyan Jones said,”Verbal bullying ,in my opinion, is mostly common in the bullying world, I feel this way because I would sometimes see or hear some words that aren’t appropriate. I would also hear many kids saying mean things about each other, and the person saying the mean things would just laugh afterward like it’s a joke,when really it’s not.”

Cyberbullying is when you use technology to mentally hurt someone. This type of bullying uses instant messaging, cell phone text messages and any other online social networks to humiliate and embarrass others. This can be devastating  to the person who’s being bullied, because they can’t even use technology without being afraid something embarrassing is being posted about them. Studies show that more than 1 in 3 young adolescents have either experience cyber bullying or have experience cyber threats online.In the past year,studies show that 15 percent of high school student were cyber bullied. People may not realize it but almost most cases of bullying happens on the internet.

Arleth Oliden feels that cyber bullying is the most common type of bullying happening in the teen world.

The last type of bullying is emotional bullying. Emotional bullying is to make the victim feel alone and powerless and sometimes isolated. This can also make the victim become depressed.It is when talking about emotional bullying it is talking about getting the victim’s feelings hurt.

The number of students to get bullied is over 3.2 million students in a year. Approximately 160,000 students in the United States are to afraid to attend school and decide to skip it so they can avoid the bullies. As they reach age 14 victim’s start thinking of  confronting bullies about why it’s happening.Over 67 percent of students believe that schools respond poorly to bullying, a high percentage of students believe that adults should help the victim.

Verbal abuse stays constant whether it’s calling someone ugly or picking on them for what they wear or say. You would think bullying would be less of a problem over the years as student become adults and less immature,but sadly that’s not the case,even adults act like children sometimes.

While some students are being bullied others take it as a joke, some teens take matters  into their own hands and get help or try to solve the situation.

If you’re a teacher, counselor, and etc., there are many ways people can tell if a student is being bullied. Even though it is very difficult to read the appearance body language,a few “warning” signs to look out for are when the victim starts talking about feeling worthless, about ways of hurting themselves, runs away, and how  their loved ones wouldn’t even notice if they weren’t around. Also if the student appears in a daily unpredictable  sad mood, angry, anxious or depressed.

Although, people can decrease the amount of teen bullying that goes on. Teens should be encouraged to seek friends, whether it be in person and/or online.They should choose friends who are supportive and kind. The teen should also try to move in groups if possible, since bullies most often single out those who are alone. Schools should be more involved to try to prevent bullying and showing the victims how important they are.

”Bullying can be changed if everyone is happy with themselves.It’s basically about morals and how you were raised in you home.” Marisol Vargas

If  a teen wanted to avoid being bullied,then they should feel comfortable in their own skin .By being yourself you’re attracting a positive attitude and with a positive attitude comes happiness. Another way to not be a “victim of bullying” is to have a high self-esteem.If you have a high self-esteem you’re setting boundaries and you are not going to let anybody bring you down.

A few students who they believe what gender gets bullied and one student named Valeria Cuevas replied, “I believe females get bullied the most because I’ve personally witnessed and overheard people talking negatively about girls for the simplest unnecessary things.

Teenagers look up to someone who they believe a good role model. Angelita believes that if a teenager has a good role model it can help encourage them to be kinder to others even if they know them or not. If the role model is setting a good example, the teenager will follow in their footsteps. If a teenager chooses person who does things that is not good for students to do and they chose them it could lead to teen to follow those bad footsteps.

Arleth and I both believe bullying  is when people don’t feel comfortable and they have to take it out in a negative way. People have enough and they finally explode out and take it out on other people. Sometimes horrible but sometimes students don’t even care in my opinion bullying is a serious matter and it could cause the victims have suicidal thoughts.I think overtime it stops when the victim stands up of themselves or overtime people don’t care as much as they used to and don’t notice. People would have to understand what people are going through and put them in the victim’s situation and stop judging because when you’re judging you are building opinions on them they could cause people to pick on them for that specific reason.

Angelita’s experience through bullying,:  “It was sad at first.It started in 4th grade it was a boy who called me names and tripped me calling me names.For example calling me fat or dumb and make fun of me  for the ideas i had.I liked one his friends but when his friend started to be mean i stopped liking because i thought he had a bad personality. One time one I fell they were just pointing and laughing and they were somewhat friends so when they laughed i thought i was a joke so I just laughed with them. I had other group of so called friends and they would also leave me out on events. I felt horrible and sad but overtime I had enough and I stood up for myself the next time he bullied me. During the time I got bullied I would write about it so I wouldn’t have to talk about it. It lasted for about a year until I moved to a different school.I’m not saying when you get bullied you should move schools because it was close to where i live.During the same year I was in the after school program and there was these girls who blamed me for things I didn’t do. I was a good child and did everything that i was told to do.Whenever they did something wrong they would put the blame on me. During all of 4th grade I felt many feelings I sad horrible and do things to make me “look” better. I’ll say if you have been bullied to stand up for yourself . Also if the situation gets out of hand talk to someone who has the authority to do something, and if you don’t want to talk about it write about it to get your emotions out. And if you’re the bully you should think about how you would feel in that situation. If you’re  want to feel better make friends not enemies because one day you are going to probably regret it.”

Arleth’s opinion Teen bullying is a serious matter. It could lead to many things that people could regret. It’s hard to go through things that are horrible and to be okay about it. Victims can be traumatized for the rest of their high school lives. The bully should have respect for other teenagers and learn how to love one another, if everyone was kind with each other they wouldn’t be reason to be be a bully to.

In the end, people should learn to be kind to one another because we don’t know what the “victim(s)” might be going through.Some people may think it’s a game but once the person who was getting bullied ends up hurting, or even worse, might kill themselves, well then it’s not a game no more, is it.

• The Teen World of Bullying

Opinion

Bullying from Society

• The Teen World of Bullying

Opinion

Keeping the Campus Clean

• The Teen World of Bullying

Opinion

Bullying, Depression, Suicide: My Story

• The Teen World of Bullying

Opinion

Stressed Out

• The Teen World of Bullying

Opinion

Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: Breakout Review

• The Teen World of Bullying

Opinion

Don’t Silence Me

• The Teen World of Bullying

Opinion

A Possibility of World War III

• The Teen World of Bullying

Column

Styling “minimum effort” outfits

• The Teen World of Bullying

Opinion

13 reasons why, affecting the lives of teens

• The Teen World of Bullying

Opinion

The silence of the arts

The Teen World of Bullying