13 reasons why, affecting the lives of teens

Cassandra Salazar, Staff Writer

The new hit Netflix series, Thirteen Reasons Why, is a huge topic in teenage lives. The show explains and demonstrates the consequences of teen suicide. Not only does it demonstrate the affects, it demonstrates an unhealthy high school environment.

A Lot of the scenes in the show, are very emotional and shocking. The series is mainly about a young girl, who has committed suicide and has blamed 13 other students for her death. She records tapes and explains what these people have done to her, but they never noticed.

My main concern with the show is that people who were shown, such as the other classmates. Although they saw what was happening to the main character, they did nothing to stop it. Although, when the poor teen did commit suicide, the classmates are posting photos of her locker and themselves with the locker. Suddenly, ‘suicide’ posters are being posted on the walls, students are more concerned, and not only students, teachers are more concerned.

Does it really take someone to end their life, and for it to go viral on social media sites, for someone to know what they say hurts? A Lot of young teenagers have access to smartphones, and social media. And 15 percent of teenagers, grades nine through twelve, are cyber bullied. Bullying is a big part of high school. Students trying to handle both students opinions about them, and school work can lead to stress, the number one reason for depression.

“Its all about the trends, If it’s not on social media, and its not trending, it won’t be important.””

— Adrian Estrada, freshman

A lot of todays society revolves around social media. The Media has both good and bad effects. The good side of the media is teenagers who need help, can get help, with the help lines, and can contact other people easliy. The bad effect, is the trends, and the attention. We are so caught up on social media that we forget whats going on in the real world. Just like the show, teenagers feel obligated to laugh or like a bad post because everyone else is doing so.

“Its all about trends, if it not out there on media and not trending, it won’t be important.” Adrian Estrada, freshman.  This generation is so amused with trending topics, but why isn’t suicide one of them? Do some only believe suicide is in movies and shows, and is unlikely to happen in real life? Although the show help spread out the word of suicide and help other kids notice situations that can happen. Poster on walls, and town halls, don’t really do a lot.

Since the release, suicide has been a topic to talk about, but it has to be trending. They had to make the show become so popular to get the word out, but doing so, it attracts more people to the media instead of the real situations going on around them. We need to learn more about peoples emotions and actions, instead of looking at the way they can cake their faces to cover those emotions. Learn more about the sign of self harm and the signs of depression, instead of watching videos of the issues and not doing anything about it.  

• 13 reasons why, affecting the lives of teens

Opinion

Bullying from Society

Opinion

The Teen World of Bullying

Opinion

Keeping the Campus Clean

Opinion

Bullying, Depression, Suicide: My Story

Opinion

Stressed Out

Opinion

Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: Breakout Review

Opinion

Don’t Silence Me

Opinion

A Possibility of World War III

Column

Styling “minimum effort” outfits

Opinion

The silence of the arts