The silence of the arts

Performing arts being unrecognized on campus

Salonda Johnson, Copy Editor

You walk into the gym, excited, waiting for the assembly to start yet, you see that students aren’t as excited as they used to be, they’re staring blankly at the floor where dance team, choir and band usually perform. Then you realize that they’re not, because they have been cut from the school.

Performing arts classes have been running for decades, giving students a chance to try something new or something that they have been doing for years. Even with these programs being around, that doesn’t mean that they’re being recognized for what they truly do on school campuses. Specifically, I remember going to the school’s musical and hearing students saying that they only went because it was an extra credit assignment for a class.

As much as I love teachers trying to put the idea of arts in students minds, it doesn’t change the fact that they truly don’t understand how much time and effort their classmates are putting in for their performances.

People have to understand that students aren’t just doing these activities just to do it, they’re doing it because it is all they aspire to do or be. It is not a surprise that students don’t like going to school. Being activities gives them a chance to like the environment.  Actually, 86% of students had an improvement of attitude towards school, which proves that the programs give the motivation that is needed.

The performances that students present gives them a chance to express themselves in the most productive and exciting way.

Choir student Lizette Meza said, “Performing makes me happy, every time I perform I get this adrenaline feeling and it feels like I’m on the top of the world. It’s fun seeing and interacting with the crowd.’’

Sadly, there has been multiple times where arts education have been threaten to be cut for a while now, which is why there is many organizations trying to save the arts, such as Do Something and  VH1 Save The Music for music programs. The Elementary and Secondary Education act, which was rewritten in 2002 to the No Child Gets Left Behind act, in which the arts is core academic subject. That just shows that students at one point of their academic career has to take classes upon the arts.

Without theses programs there would be no sense of creativity on campus nor a sense of individuality. As a matter of fact, on American of the arts it is stated that creativity is at the top of three personality traits for U.S employment. It is not like these students aren’t learning and using useful tools for the future.

Our lives on school campus without the dance, choir, or band would be dull, it would be lifeless and it would lack the positivity and light that it has today. Next time you see a poster with the following programs, think about the work and the dedication that they put into it and recognize what they do for your campus.

• The silence of the arts

Opinion

Bullying from Society

• The silence of the arts

Opinion

The Teen World of Bullying

• The silence of the arts

Opinion

Keeping the Campus Clean

• The silence of the arts

Opinion

Bullying, Depression, Suicide: My Story

• The silence of the arts

Opinion

Stressed Out

• The silence of the arts

Opinion

Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: Breakout Review

• The silence of the arts

Opinion

Don’t Silence Me

• The silence of the arts

Opinion

A Possibility of World War III

• The silence of the arts

Column

Styling “minimum effort” outfits

• The silence of the arts

Opinion

13 reasons why, affecting the lives of teens

The silence of the arts