What Makes You, You

Serena Land, Sport Editor

Self-expression is one of the many ways society has advanced from generation to generation. The will to be creative helps drive society to advances never before seen by the world; being able to be proud of who you are, even in a world that’s whole goal is to tear you down.

As the media progresses so do the extreme ideas of an unrealistic body. Most models are white and extremely skinny. After looking at the magazine “Buzaur” only 40 out of 273 pages featured a woman of color, some of the the the pages just circulate some of the same women. If the fact of color is taken out of the equation every other advertisement is a sexual picture of an unrealistic body size.

There is a lack of support in the competitive world we live in today, we are trained to be the best and to  take down others who are ahead of us. The competition is sometimes taken to seriously and we use whatever we can to make people feel horrible and make them lack appreciation for their bodies. (Question: A name or word that has been used to tear you down?)

Being forced to find a way to to keep going day by day becomes a struggle, and finding ways to continue even though sometimes the world gives you every reason to give up. Being able to fight the battle even though everyday brings new obstacles and is a new climb to make it over every mountain. Finding that one reason to not give up on yourself on everyone around you. (Question: What keeps you going day by day?)

Everyone is proud to be something in this world and there are always so many answers. Some may embrace their culture and others may embrace people in their lives but over all what makes people proud brings us together as strong women in society. (Question: what are you proud to be?)

Women are taught from when they were young that they have to be in second place behind men or that we shouldn’t be proud to be who we are because as a lady you must be held to a higher standard than men. ( question: Why are you proud to be a woman?)

Being who you are in a society that tries to make people assimilate in everything they do. Everyone tries to be like everyone else but if people just embrace themselves society would be a more diverse place on this earth.

• What Makes You, You

Features

The unequal treatment beyond regular education

• What Makes You, You

Features

Teen Suicide: The Road to an Irreversible Decision

• What Makes You, You

Features

Every generation has sucked

• What Makes You, You

Features

How to make french toast cupcakes

• What Makes You, You

Features

Students use passports minimally

• What Makes You, You

Features

What it means to be an Upward Bound student

• What Makes You, You

Features

Freshmen trying to make “Gains”

• What Makes You, You

Features

Lack of diversity in on-campus association

• What Makes You, You

Features

Kayla Owens: Softball Star

• What Makes You, You

Features

Paul’s the Man, he does it All

What Makes You, You